Trending Jewelry 2018-2019
some time in Milan earlier this summer looking at the newest fashions and jewelry trends and it seems to us like there has been a pretty dynamic shift compared to the more staid styles of the past few seasons. Almost everything was larger-bolder, more intricate, more interesting, attention-grabbing (think chrome, azure, fuchsia, lime and bright yellow)! We saw a lot of self-expressive pieces reminiscent of the blended lifestyles of millennials and calming concepts intertwined with sustainability in this ever-increasing fast paced world we live in (colors of tangerine, lilac, buttercup, and pearl gray). In addition, there is an entire subtext where the focus is on kindness, and the value of genuine handcrafted pieces as well as a push toward cultured-inspired bohemian influences (colors like opal, jade, smoked topaz, ivory, and pearl) (Ksenia Gulko, Jewelry Trends 2019). Images of these types of colors create an immediate sense of the style of the wearer as well as the fashion.
Another thing that we were amazed at was the shift towards both longer and choker style necklaces that permeated almost every collection as well as the asymmetrical trend toward earrings. Layering is ever-popular, and charms and talismans are making a strong come-back as well as broach and accenture features.
And so with further ado, our takes on
“If you like this-->
then perhaps you’ll like this!”
If you want BIG and Bold, try the biggest black biawa (biwa) pearls on the planet! Fireball pearls reflect color around them so add elements of texture and surprise every time you wear them. In designing the Papalaua Falls - Black Pearl Necklace, reflective of a bold Molokai waterfall, we went for volume and turned on the explosive appeal using ^ magnificent lustrous pearls an black leather. Nothing shy or demure here!
Self-Expressive / Reflective / Mismatching
Self-expression in recent jewelry trends is dominated by asymmetry and in-the-know style cred, shown everywhere by singular earrings (most of us can do that simply by checking our jewelry box and wearing that single earring that we have kept even though we lost the mate eons ago) or by mixing similar elements creating the asymmetric edge. Pairing seed pearls and blue lapis lazuli, we offer tassel earrings that can be mixed and matched with other jewelry box favs to create a playful yet elegant look! These Obi - Seed Pearl & Blue Lapis Lazuli Tassel Earrings offer endless possibilities for your own self-expression as you add stud,dangle, lever-back, or other drop earrings or just wear either tassel earring alone!
"Alexander McQueen’s mismatched earrings were both comparatively attention seeking and luxurious, featuring pearls, metals, and jewels. Chanel’s mismatched earrings were subtle and proved that if you stick to a similar color family, this look can actually be rather sophisticated!" (Emma Kansiz, Fall/Winter 2018-2018 Winter Accessory Trends).
Terra Firma / The Earth in Jewelry
Raw and mixed stones and the need to reconnect with nature is a dominant theme. Authenticity and real materials is "reflected in the renewed interest for handmade and artisanal finishes, mixed and matched with natural materials" (Jewelry Trends 2019). In today's hyper-busy world, there is something to be said for real experiences, outside, in nature, far away from computers, cell phones, and screens... And designers have keenly felt that need in textiles, fashion, and jewelry.
No one wants to wear plastic anymore....
Warm, inviting, genuine, and handcrafted, this raw and polished citrine and biawa (biwa) pearl necklace is a statement necklace that make you just want to touch it, and run your fingers along the smooth citrine crystals and lightly textured freshwater pearls. And it looks happy, serene...
Want to know what it is? ------>
The Bespoke Moraine Lake - Citrine & Pearl Necklace!
Calm. Serene. Lovely. PEARLS!
Pearls continue to expand and extend their reach across runways and according to Laura Eggerston, "long-lost stones like jade" are also making a refined comeback (The Jewelry Trends, What Everyone will be Wearing in Three months, Eggersten). So isn't it fitting that we have combined the simple pleasure of 11.5 mm white and near-perfect freshwater pearls with the calm, cool jade, carved jade ball. These pearls are not your high-school graduation garden variety!
In another nod to asymmetry, the newest pearls to hit the market, Edison pearls, contain textural qualities that far exceed traditional smooth freshwater pearls. Their organic nature and incredible lustre make them shine against the competition!
LAYERS & Layers & layers
As trends go, layering is timeless. But instead of a myriad of dainty chains, the new look is a bit more chunky, with some pendants, interspersed with fine chain. So hit up your jewelry box for the chain and add some interest to your layers! Mixing it up with gold, silver, and crystal is also a sweet statement!
And speaking of CHAINS!
Chunky geometry, big and bright links, and appealing baubles swept the runways and street styles and as the cooler weather approaches, we can only expect to see more diversity as sweater-weather styles make their entrance. One of things we noticed was that jewelry box lariat style necklaces can easily be converted into these wrapped styles, instantly updating your necklace options! So bauble on....
Hint: use a "converter" to instantly shorten your lariat length chains into wrapped styles:
Another option, multi-chain and bauble necklaces that combine the best of both worlds!
Choose a Choker for Drama!
According to Oliver Jackson " The versatility and diversity of the chokers are extraordinary. Also, there are so many different designs, textures, fabrics, and purposes to these pieces. Go from the very basic and classy tattoo choker to a very glamorous and chic metallic choker" (Jackson, Fashion Jewelry Trends 2018-2019). Like Chloe's double wrapped neck chain from the pre-fall/Winter 2018-2019 collection, @ NaughtonBraun we offer a wrapped white pearl and CZ draped choker:
Love what you've seen? What small changes are you going make now that you have some new ideas? And isn't it really great that you never threw away those single earrings???
Links and References:
- Ksenia Gulko, JEWELRY TRENDS 2019: all kinds of shapes, traditions and passions! https://trends.jewelry/en/jewelry-trends-2019/, accessed 8/17/2018
- Anne-Sophie Mallard, translated by Kate Matthams-Spencer and Isabel Nield on 13 April 2018, JEWELRY RUNWAY TRENDS 13 jewelry trends to take away from the Fall/Winter 2018-2019 Fashion Week, https://en.vogue.fr/jewelry/runway-trends/diaporama/13-jewelry-trends-to-take-away-from-the-fall-winter-2018-2019-fashion-week/49595, accessed 8/17/2018
- JEWELRY SEE Trend forecast: 15 stand-out jewelry pieces from the Pre-Fall /Winter 2018-2019 collections
- Emma Kansiz, Fall/ Winter 2018-2019 Accessory Trends, April 21, 2018, https://glowsly.com/fall-winter-2018-2019-accessory-trends/ accessed 9/3/2018
- Lorena Balea-Raitz, Jewellery trends….2019, posted in: Art, Design, Fashion, http://www.balea-raitz.com/jewellery-trends-2019/ accessed 9/4/2018
- 2019 jewelry trends, https://madame-siam.com/blogs/news/2019-jewelry-trends, accessed 8/24/2018
- Jewelry Trends 2019, https://www.swarovski-professional.com/en-WORLD/industries/fashion-shoes-and-accessories/trends-and-inspirations/jewelry-trends-2019, accessed 9/6/2018
- Birik Butik, From Runway to Streetstyle: Jewelry Trends FW 2018-2019, 7 March 2018, http://www.birikbutik.com/from-runway-to-streetstyle-jewelry-trends-fw-2018-2019/?lang=en,accessed 8/24/2018
- Oliver Jackson, Fashion jewelry trends 2018–2019, Feb 13, 2018, https://medium.com/@wonatrading/fashion-jewelry-trends-2018-2019-40799b58de6d, accessed 8/18/2019
- VOGUE Italia, The best jewelry from the Fall Winter 2018 2019 fashion shows, https://www.vogue.it/en/fashion/jewellery-watches/2018/03/08/the-jewellery-from-the-fall-winter-2018-2019-shows/, accessed 8/21/2018
- Emili Vesilind, Trend File: 10 Jewelry Trends for 2018, October 13, 2017, https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-article/trend-file-10-jewelry-trends-for-2018/,accessed 8/19/2018
- Harper's BAZAAR Staff, Kimberly Ong, The Hottest Jewellery Trend You Can Try Now, No Matter Your Budget. Mismatched earrings for that covetable off-beat cool look. 12 March 2018 http://www.harpersbazaar.com.sg/fashion/accessories/hottest-jewellery-trend-mismatched-earrings-at-every-price-point/?slide=4, accessed 8/22/2018
- Lauren Eggertsen, The Jewelry Trends Everyone Will Be Wearing in 3 Months, https://www.whowhatwear.com/fall-jewelry-trends-2018/slide2, accessed 8/28/2018